India's First Woman Pilot

Sarla Thakral was the first Indian woman to fly an aircraft.

Sarla Thakral  was the first Indian woman to fly an aircraft.

In 1936 Sarla Thakral made a history as first Indian Woman Pilot. Sarla(1914) was only 21 year old when she became the first Indian woman to earn a pilot license. Sarla obtained her ‘A’ license when she accumulated over 1000 hours of flying.

While she was working towards the commercial pilot license, her husband died in a crash in 1939. She was a widow at age of 24. Sarla, also known as Mati, became a successful businesswoman, painter and began designing clothes and costume jewellery.she died in 2009.

In fact it wasn’t so much my husband. My father-in-law was even more enthusiastic and got me enrolled in the flying club,” says Sarla and adds,” I knew I was breaching a strictly male bastion but I must say the men, they never made me feel out of place.”


Get Latest Updates In your Inbox

No comments:

Post a Comment